3rd and 5th Grade JIP students had a wonderful time learning some Kyogen techniques (how to laugh and cry) and were treated to a short Kyogen performance.
In cooperation with the Japan Foundation of New York, the JCC is bringing a Kyogen Workshop by the Shigeyama family to GFES on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017. Kyogen (wild speech or mad words) is a 500-year old form of traditional Japanese comic theater that was developed alongside Noh. The Shigeyama family is one of two leading Kyogen families in Japan.
3rd and 5th grade JIP students will participate in this hour-long workshop, that will led by actor, Shigeyama Ippe.
The JCC is working with the O-en Network to bring the very popular Japanese immersion summer camp experience to Great Falls Elementary School. The day will consist of instruction and review of written Japanese and basic conversation. Through an immersive environment, student will learn, speak, and play in Japanese.
Find more information about O-En Summer Camps
Great Falls ES has been chosen to perform a number of songs at the Sakura Matsuri-Japanese Street Festival on the Sakura Stage on Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 12:45pm-1:15pm. Interested students are asked to sign up HERE as soon as possible.
- Festival Date: Saturday, April 8, 2017
- Festival Place: The Yards/Capitol Riverfront, on the Corner of M St. SE and New Jersey Ave. SE (Metro: Navy Yard-Ballpark Green line
- Performance Time: 12:45pm-1:15pm
- Tickets: Performing students will get free entry. Children 12 & under are free; Adults are $10 (To pre-purchase tickets online, Click HERE)
- Check in with a teacher or JCC volunteer at 12:00pm by the Sakura Stage
- Happi Coats will be handed out to each performing student at the Sakura Stage
Sakura Matsuri is a great opportunity to enjoy the tastes, sounds and feel of Japan. It is the largest one-day celebration of Japanese culture in the Washington DC area, with 4 performance stages and demonstrations, cultural exhibitors, food vendors, cooking demonstrations, a Children’s Corner. We encourage everyone to attend.
For more information, ask your JIP teacher or email the JCC at email@example.com
The JCC held its monthly meeting on March 10, 2017 to discuss the following topics:
- Japanese Summer Camp at GFES in collaboration with O-en
- Creation of a new FCPS Japanese Immersion Program logo, along with a unique design for GFES and FMES
- Social event to mark the end of the school year and to welcome incoming JIP families to be planned for June.
Find full meeting notes below
J-LEARN held its monthly meeting on March 10, 2017 to discuss the following topics:
- Report on the Japan Friendship Roundtable
- FCPS Friendship Seminar
- J2B format
Find full meeting notes below
Sign up now for the Spring 2017 session of the Japanese Conversation Club. Club Members will be competiting against Fox Mill ES on May 5 for the first annual J2B (Junior Japan Bowl) competiton! Join the team now!
Calling all 3rd through 6th graders to join Go Club for the Spring 2017 session. Exercise your brain by learning the oldest board game in the world.